Friday, December 5, 2008

Conversations with Grandmother

My Grandmother is 89 years old. Last year at Thanksgiving, she greeted me with "How are you? You look like you're getting enough to eat!" I can always count on her to be brutally honest. This year, I asked her what she wanted for Christmas...

Me: Grandma, is there anything you'd like for me to knit you for Christmas?
Grandma: Oh, I don't know sweetie.
Me: Did you like those socks I made you last year?
Grandma: Oh, no. I never wore them. I didn't know what to wear them with, I can't wear them with shoes, they're too thick.
Me: Well, you can just wear them to keep your feet warm at night, they're meant to be warm socks. Is there something else you'd rather have this year?
Grandma: Did you knit that sweater you're wearing?
Me: Yes.
Grandma: How about a sweater?
Me: Ok, I have a pattern I think you'd like. Something simple? What color?
Grandma: I like the color of your sweater. Maybe that, or off-white?

So, the search began. I'm going to make EZ's Rib Warmer (using Jared's modifications) for her, because I think she'll actually wear it - but if she doesn't, I know she'll tell me. Sometimes I wonder what I'll be like when I'm 90 - probably a lot like her!

Another project I'll be working on before the end of the month: A hat for a friend who'll be working on a fishing boat in the Bering Sea for the next few months. (Think: Deadliest Catch) I'm thinking that only a hat with traditional gansey stitch patterns, including the wearer's initials, will do in this case.

No comments: